Mysore, Mar. 30 (KK& KMC)-The State government has issued formal orders for the conduct of the Mayoral polls of the Mysore City Corporation (MCC) after dithering for a few days even after the High Court stay was vacated.
Speaking to Star of Mysore, the present incumbent Mayor Purushotham said that he had received the orders yesterday and the process would be put in place.
The Mayoral polls had been stalled on Feb. 26 following the controversy over the floor-crossing of certain Corporators to the BJP fold and thus supporting the BJP candidate.
Mayor Purushotham said that the State Government had directed him to resume the polling process from where it had been stalled earlier, after assigning a date for the polls.
Purushotham said that a suitable date will be announced after discussion with officials today.
On the polls held on Feb. 26, Sandesh Swamy of JD(S), P. Devaraj of Congress and Nagendra of the BJP were left in the fray for the Mayor’s post.
As soon as the polling process had commenced at the MCC Council Hall on Feb. 26, BJP candidate Nagendra's name was announced, 18 BJP Corporators, two MLAs and three MLCs raised their hands in support. They were joined by 9 JD(S)Corporators and two independents taking the total to 34.
But later on, Cheluvegowda, Madesh, Mahadevappa and Rukmini Madegowda all from the JD(S) who raised their hands in support of BJP's Nagendra, refused to attest their signatures on the register. MLAs S.A. Ramdas and H.S. Shankaralingegowda along with other BJP Corporators raised strong objections over the double standards of floor-crossing JD(S) Corporators thus bringing the election process to a halt.
Courtesy : Star Of Mysore