Srirangapatna is an island fortress-city is of great religious, cultural and historic importance. It is situated about 14 Kms. from Mysore and 125 Kms. from Bangalore. Srirangapatna is nestled in the banks of river Cauvery is about 3 Kms. in length and one Km. in breadth. The town derives its name from the presiding deity of Ranganatha Swamy temple situated at the western end of the island in the Cauvery River.
For a short while the city of Srirangapatna was the capital of the Mysore state, while Tipu Sultan was ruling Mysore. After the death of Tipu Sultan in 1799 the British shifted the capital back to Mysore. The town, temples, mosque and other historical monuments are surrounded by a strong stone fort with four gates. There are remains of Tipu’s palace known as Lal Mahal, a Water Gate, two Dungeons, one at the north-east corner of the fort, another to the east of Delhi gate.
Places to see in & around Srirangapatna
Ranganatha Swamy Temple
The Ranganatha Swamy Temple
in Srirangapatna enshrines Lord Vishnu as Ranganatha. It is said that the Ganaga chieftain, Tirumalaiya built this temple in 894 AD. The Ranganatha Swamy Temple was later expanded by the Hoysalas, Vijayanagar monarchs, Mysore Wodeyars and Hyder Ali. The architecture is a mixture of the Hoysala and Vijayanagar styles. The temple has fort like walls and an intricately carved Gopura in Vijayanagar style of architecture. The idol of Lord Ranganatha is in reclining posture on the bed laid out by the serpent Aadi Sesha is about 4.5 meters in length. The main entrance has Chaturvimsati (four) pillars has the cravings of the 24 forms of Vishnu. There are many other shrines like Ranganayaki, Narasimha, Sudarshana, Gopalakrishna, Srinivasa, Rama and Panchamukha Anjaneya in the complex.
Ranganatha Swamy Temple Timings
07.30 am to 01.00 pm and 04.00 pm to 08.00 pm
Colonel Bailey Dungeon
This dungeon lies North of Ranganatha Swamy temple. The Vaulted dungeon measuring 30.5 meters width 12.2 meters height and is built of brick and mortar. The prisoners were chained to the stone slabs fixed on the East, North and West walls.
Dungeon is named after Colonel Bailey who died here in 1780 AD this dungeon was used to imprison Captain Baird, Colonel Brithwite, Captain Rulay, Frazer, Samson and Lindsay by Tipu Sultan. During the siege of Srirangapatna, one of the cannons rolled back, pierced the ceiling and fell into the dungeon. One can see them still lying there.
How to Reach Colonel Bailey Dungeon
Colonel Bailey Dungeon is around 1 km from Ranganatha Swamy Temple
You can take a Jataka Gaadi (Horse carts) ride from Ranganatha Swamy Temple
is a mosque located near the Bangalore Gate of the fort. Tipu Sultan built this masjid in 1787 after he ascended the throne of Mysore. It is said that he performed the first imamath himself. The Jama Masjid is a grand structure with two lofty minarets, there is about 200 steps leading to the top of the minarets from where one can have a view of picturesque surrounding area. There are five Persian inscriptions, one of this inscription mentions all the ninety-nine names of Allah.
Dariya Daulat Bagh
The Dariya Daulat Bagh
is situated outside the fort, on the island. Dariya-Daulat, "the wealth of the sea", referred to as the summer palace of Tipu Sultan, was built in the year 1784 AD is situated outside the fort, on the island. The palace is built in the Indo-Sarcenic style. Tipu Sultan laid out a garden here and constructed the Summer Palace in 1784 which was his favorite retreat. It is built in the Indo-Sarcenic style standing on a square platform. There are excellent mural paintings depicting the war scenes, the British and the French officers, the Sultan, the Kings and others. The palace has been converted into a museum in which are displayed war weapons, paintings and coins of Tipu’s period. One of the main feature of this museum is the famous oil painting "Storming of Srirangapattanam" by Sir Robert Ker Porter made in 1800. This historical painting depicts the final fall of Srirangapatana on 4th May 1799.
Dariya Daulat Bagh Timings
9 A.M. to 5 P.M.
Dariya Daulat Bagh Entry Charges
How to Reach Dariya Daulat Bagh
Around 1 km. from Srirangapatna. Buses ply frequently, auto-rickshaws or Jataka Gaadi (Horse carts) can be hired from Srirangapatna.
is situated at the end of the town. This is the mausoleum of Tippu Sultan; his father Hyder Ali and mother Fathima Begum. Tippu built this magnificent structure in 1782-84. It is an impressive square structure, surmounted by a dome and surrounded by a corridor supported by pillars of black hornblende. The Gumbaz has a large well-shaped dome, it has beautifully carved ebony doors inlaid with ivory, and the Gumbaz has carved stone windows with excellent work on it and inscriptions. Inside the tomb Hyder Ali has been laid to rest in the middle and on either side are the tombs of his wife and son. Tippu's tiger stripes cover the walls of the Gumbaz.
Srirangapatana Gumbaz Timings:
08.00 am to 06.30 pm
How to Reach Srirangapatana Gumbaz
Around 3 km. from Srirangapatna. Buses ply frequently, auto-rickshaws or Jataka Gaadi (Horse carts) can be hired from Srirangapatna.
was built at the time of Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar about 300 to 400 years ago on the bank of the river Cauvery. Sri Nimishamba is considered as the incarnation of Goddess Parvathi, the wife of Lord Shiva. The temple has the Shrichakra carved on a stone in front of Sri Nimishamba and pooja is performed.
There is a belief that Sri Nimishamba is going to remove all the problems and troubles of her devotees within a minute. That is why she is called Nimishamba. Nimisha means a minute.
Nimishamba Temple Pooja Timings
06.00 am to 08.30 pm
How to Reach Nimishamba Temple
Nimishamba Temple is 2 km. from Srirangapatna. Buses ply frequently, auto-rickshaws or Jataka Gaadi (Horse carts) can be hired from Srirangapatna.
Other places of interest around Srirangapatna
Sangam is the place where the River Loakpavani joins the River Cauvery. This is a popular picnic spot and is a beautiful place. From here the river follows into the Mettur Dam in Tamilnadu. Its about 3 Kms. from Mysore.
Paschimavahini on the River Cauvery, about 2 Kms. from Srirangapatna is a sacred place for the Hindus, the pious come from far and wide to immerse the ashes of the departed and perform obsequies to their ancestors in these waters. There are bathing ghats and choultries here.
Karighatta situated about 3 Km. from Srirangapatna is a hill range rising to 2,697 ft. has the temple of Venkataramanaswamy in Dravidian style built during the Vijayanagar period.