Five freedom fighters amongst the few survivors of a generation that took part in the freedom struggle, were felicitated for their contributions during the I-Day celebrations yesterday.
The District Administration, which identified five out of the 50 members of Mysore District Freedom Fighters Association, honoured them. They are:
1. P. Venkata Swamy: Born in 1927, he was arrested during the Quit India Movement despite being a student. He had also been taken as a political prisoner for participating in the movement and imprisoned for a month. Currently, he is the Secretary of the District Freedom Fighters Association.
2. M.B. Hale Gowda: Born in 1930, he was involved in picketing during anti-tobacco and anti-liquor movements in the district and also took part in social reconstruction besides being involved in the Mysore Chalo Movement. He too underwent imprisonment at the Srirangapatna Sub-jail.
3. C.N. Ashwathnarayana Shetty: He took part in social movements connected with freedom struggle and was arrested along with scores of Congress leaders during such struggles. He was sent to Mandya jail before being shifted to Bangalore central jail for one month.
4. M.Somashekaraiah: He took part in Mysore Chalo agitation and was taken into custody while on a Prabhat Pheri at Hassan.
5. B. Lingaiah: He was felicitated for his participation in the Goa Liberation movement.
Courtesy : Star Of Mysore