Following the complaints about the railway enquiry phone numbers 131 and 132 being out of order, the South Western Railway (SWR) has clarified that they are bieng disconnected to improve the services of `139'.
As per the directions from Railway Board, New Delhi, 139- rail sampark is the authorized enquiry for Indian Railways and the service has been launched by Indian Railway Catering & Tourism Corporation Ltd (IRCTC), a Public Sector Undertaking under the ministry of railways.
The Number 139 can be dialed from landline/mobile phones throughout the country without prefixing the STD code. The services include enquiries pertaining to arrival/departure of trains, PNR reservation of berth status and fare enquiry. Apart from these, the number 139 can also be accessed to book a train ticket, where payment is made through a cash card over phone and the ticket is delivered through courier.
The services can be accessed by pressing the digits as shown below:
1. PNR Status (Selection by Pressing Digit `1')
2. Train arrival/departure (Selection by Pressing Digit `2')
3. Accommodation availability(Selection by Pressing Digit `3')
4. Fare enquiry (Selection by Pressing Digit `4')
5. To book ticket through cash card and deliver through courier (Selection by Pressing Digit '5')
Courtesy : Times of India