A fire that broke out in the store-room of Andolana Kannada newspaper in city in the wee hours of yesterday, damaged several bundles of old newspaper files dating back to 1972.

Andolana Editor Rajashekhar Koti told SOM that the incident occurred in one of the two store-rooms located at the backside of the newspaper’s printing press on J.P. Nagar Main road in city when printing process was on and printed copies were being taken away for distribution in vehicles.

Several bundles of newspapers, filed month-wise since 1972, were stored in the room which were partially gutted in the fire and further damaged by the water poured on them by the Fire Brigade personnel to douse the fire and prevent it from spreading to the neighbouring rooms, said Koti.

The electrician who checked the wirings, switches and meter boards in the building, ruled out the possibility of a short circuit. Even the Fire Brigade personnel from Saraswathipuram, who reached the spot minutes after they were alerted, confirmed that the fire was not caused by electrical short circuit, but suspected arson, said Koti.

Speaking about the loss incurred, Koti said that financially, the loss is negligible. However, the years-old collection of newspapers is invaluable. It cannot be replaced now as the newspaper files, collected since 1972, have not been digitised.

Koti said he had not lodged a Police complaint yet as there was no evidence to suspect anyone.

The Mysore District Journalists’ Association has expressed their shock over the incident.

Courtesy : Star Of Mysore